The Standard Approval Form (for full applications and preliminary applications with budget breakdown) serves to help manage risk (in terms of resource use, research ethics, health & safety, and finances) to the University at the time when researchers apply for external grant funding
- The form is accessed via UCT’s eResearch Administration (eRA) system , completed electronically and distributed between approvers via the eRA system.
- Before completing the form, check internal deadlines and discuss the research with your Finance Department (e.g. Departmental Finance Officer), who can help develop an appropriate budget and will complete the financial part of the form.
- A copy of the proposal, budget(s) and, if applicable, letters of approval (e.g. ethics) should be uploaded to the online form.
- Following completion by the Principal Investigator (PI) and the Finance Department, the people who will need to approve the form are: Faculty Finance Approver (e.g. Research Management Accountant), Final Faculty Approver (e.g. Deputy Dean of Research).
- If the grant application requires a signature from, or submission by, a UCT designated authority, then input may also be needed from the UCT Research Contracts & Innovation Office (RC&I; specifically a Contracts Manager).
Visit the UCT’s Research Portal
and login to eRA then select the option to complete a New Project Application / Approval Request.
Enter project information into the ‘Key Information’ and ‘Resourcing, Ethics & Biosafety’ parts of the form, attaching the proposal as indicated.
Send the form on to the Faculty Finance Reviewer (e.g. this may be your Departmental Finance Officer) via the online system (PIs are encouraged to work offline on the budget with the Finance Reviewer in advance).
Faculty Finance Reviewer enters financial details into Financial Information part of form and sends back to PI.
Check the financial information is accurate and send the form on to the Faculty Finance Approver (e.g. Research Management Accountant) via the online system.
Faculty Finance Approver reviews and confirms he/she is satisfied with financial details, then either returns with a query or sends approved form on to the Final Faculty Approver (e.g. Deputy Dean for Research).
Final Faculty Approver reviews and confirms he/she is satisfied with the information provided, then either returns with a query or sends approved form on. When sending on this is to the Research Contracts & Innovation Office (RC&I) or the PI (depending on whether or not RC&I approval or submission is needed).
RC&I provides approval if needed.
Approval form is complete and application may be submitted by PI/RC&I in accordance with funder guidelines.