UCT Conference travel grants
Round 1 applications are open for all National and International conferences taking place between 1 July and 31 December 2019.
If your conference is taking place between 01 March 2019 and 30 June 2019, please contact the research office to submit an ad hoc application form.
The purpose of the award is to allow recipients to present the results of recent research to a suitable audience at a conference or meeting of appropriately high academic standing.
Please note that applicants may apply for a national conference once every year and an international conference once every two years. However, subject to this, applicants cannot apply for both a national and an international conference in the same year.
Deadline for Round one applications: 22 February 2019
Date of committee meeting where awards are decided: April 2019
Outcome dates: 10 May 2019
The URC provides the budget for these grants.
Eligibility and assessment criteria
This grant is available to UCT researchers who are:
- Permanent and T2 contract academic staff;
- Permanent Professional and Administrative Support Services (PASS) staff affiliated with academic departments;
- Contract staff appointed on academic conditions of service;
- Honorary Research Associates; Emeritus Professors; Emeritus Associate Professors; Honorary Professors; Honorary Associate Professors and Senior Research Scholars who have published in DHET-accredited (subsidy-earning) publications in the past year; or
- Permanent joint academic staff (excluding registrars).
Applicants may apply for a national conference once every year and an international conference once every two years. However, subject to this, applicants cannot apply for both a national and an international conference in the same year.
These awards are granted on a competitive basis and will take the following into account:
- the research output of the applicant over the last three years (i.e. the applicant’s research profile); this criterion may not apply to early-stage researchers
- the status of the conference
- the quality of interaction and exposure for the applicant
- envisaged research outputs emanating from the conference presentation.
The assessment of these criteria will be based on the information provided by the applicant and the motivation and support from the affiliated faculty/directorate.
- All applications must be submitted via the UCT Research Portal on the electronic Research Administration (eRA) system. You can download a step-by-step guide here. To learn more about the URC Conference Travel application process please see the video here.
- Applications completed on the eRA system will require input from a Departmental Authority, typically your Head of Department (HoD), who will receive access to your application automatically once you have saved your complete version. Following HoD input, it will move through the system to the UCT Research Office. You will be able to see your completed application on the eRA system as well as what stage it is in.
- No hard copy submissions will be accepted.
- Eligible researchers should apply well in advance as awards will not be made for conferences retrospective to the application submission deadline unless proof can be provided that the conference call was made subsequent to the prior application submission deadline. If the conference is taking place within 6 weeks following the submission deadline, please indicate this in the applicable field on the application form;
- It is NOT a requirement for the abstract to be accepted for presentation by the conference travel application submission date. Should the acceptance of the paper, including proof of registration not be available at the time of submission of the application, then a provisional award may be made pending the receipt of the acceptance of paper/poster.
- Only online applications are valid for submission i.e. the previous document template form no longer applicable.
- No late applications will be accepted as the system will close automatically at 23h59 on the deadline of 22 February 2019.
- Awards are not transferable and funding can only be used towards costs associated with the conference applied for.
- It is not a requirement for the abstract to be accepted by the conference travel application closing date. Should the acceptance of the paper, including proof of registration not be available at the time of submission of the application, then a provisional award may be made pending the receipt of the acceptance of paper;
- Please ensure that applications are made as well in advance as possible (preferably at least six months prior to the conference date);
- Staff may not apply in successive academic years to receive funding for attendance at an international conference. So, for instance, if you applied in the 2017 academic year to receive funding for an international conference, the earliest date on which you can apply again for an international conference will be in the 2019 academic year, but should not be strictly within a 24-month period.
- Applicants may apply for a national conference once every year and an international conference once every two years. However, subject to this, applicants cannot apply for both a national and an international conference in the same year.
- Subsistence is allowed only for the number of days of the conference. International and local rates will apply (see conference budget section for more details);
- Awards are only made in the event that a paper or a poster is being presented;
- The applicant must ensure that the application is fully completed. Applicants are asked to be concise and to only include applicable and relevant information;
- Awards are granted for one specific conference. Should that specific conference be cancelled or the full amount allocated not utilised for any reason, then the funds must revert to the URC.
Please note: URC Conference travel funds should not be the primary source of funding for applicants as the URC is unable to fund 100% of eligible costs.
Email email@example.com for more information.
Please see the Current Opportunities page to see the full list of currently open calls.